Gluten intolerance is a condition which is present a lot in today’s world. Gluten is actually a protein which can be found in rye, barley and wheat.
One of the main symptoms of gluten intolerance include: depression, gastrointestinal problems, fatigue and pain.
One of the most well-known diseases which is caused by gluten intolerance is celiac disease which is classified as an autoimmune disorder and it can damage the small intestine. Whenever we eat gluten, our body starts reacting to it with an abnormal immune response and it attacks our gut. At the moment this happens, our body is not able to absorb nutrients anymore and if this condition is left untreated there can be long-term health issues.
There are around 1 on 100 people who suffer from celiac disease. Below we’ll present you some of the most common symptoms of gluten intolerance:
- Brain fog can be caused by different conditions, and one of these is celiac disease. According to an article published in the Journal OF Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, immunoglobins react abnormally when in contact with gluten which consequently causes a reduced cognitive function.
- Unexpected weight gain is also connected to gluten intolerance, or to a systemic inflammation which is caused by gluten. This means that people who are gluten intolerant, and notice that they are gaining weight, need to remove it from their diet immediately, so they can see improvements.
- Abnormal immune function can also be caused by gluten intolerance. Usually, the IgA antibodies are found in the saliva and gastrointestinal tract and their main function is to protect the body from flu, colds and other illnesses. However, in the case of gluten intolerance, these antibodies attack our immune system. And are not able to defend us from different conditions.
- According to “BMS Gastroentorology” there is a connection between mouth ulcers and canker sores and gluten intolerance. This condition can lead to low calcium levels, which eventually harms our dental health.
- Headaches and migraines are really common in people who suffer from gluten intolerance. There has been a recent study which discovered that even 56 % of the gluten intolerant people suffer from migraines.
- Skin problems such as eczema, dermatitis herpetiformis and acne can be related to gluten intolerance. The most common symptoms are itching, rashes, burning and blisters.
- Joint and muscle pain is a common symptom of gluten intolerance which is related to the inflammatory effects the gluten has.
- Fatigue and exhaustion are symptoms which are a mystery since there aren’t enough scientific researches done on this subject. Medical experts claim that fatigue and exhaustion can be caused by gluten intolerance.